China vol. 9 "Teething, Flight, & More Jet Lag"

So, I have realized that recovering from jet lag is 1,000 times worse when you have a teething baby to take care of at the same time!

He had one tooth before we left for China, and got his second bottom tooth while there. He was grumpy for two or three days, and only really had one bad night with each of those two teeth. Not too bad, from what I've heard. The morning we left to fly home, he had three teeth on the top that were really swollen and white and looked like they could pop through at any second. Right now I feel like these three teeth could be the death of me!

I thought that the flight would be reasonably okay, since we had the bulkhead seats with a hanging bassinet. Unfortunately, the bassinet is pretty small, and I think Jayden had trouble sleeping b/c he couldn't really move at all. Also, I didn't know that when you use the airplane bassinet, every time the pilot turns the seatbelt sign on, you have to take the baby out and hold him. Super obnoxious!!! So, between the small bassinet, his teething irritability, and the stupid seatbelt sign, Brian and I got about 30 minutes of sleep during the entire trip: the ferry ride to Hong Kong, the 12 hour flight from Hong Kong to San Fran, our three hour layover, and then our flight from San Fran to Vegas.

Poor Jayden is so fussy and is crankier than he has ever been-even as a newborn. He clings on me all day, wants to nurse all the time, and won't let us put him down, especially for bed. We've been home for two nights now, and total he has probably spent 20 minutes in his crib, and an hour and a half in his swing. Can you guess where he has been the rest of the time???!!! He's never like this, so I know he must truly be in pain.

One of the three top teeth has come through, but just barely. Pray that the other two come down quickly! Last night I took him for a drive at 3 am, and that seemed to work. So we'll try that tonight and see how it goes.


Here's another picture of Jayden under the effects of jet lag! After playing at the park yesterday with Sarah & Heidi, we went to Target. I figured it would be a surefire thing to keep him awake a little bit longer. Boy, was I wrong!
Who knew a shopping cart was so comfortable? I pushed him around like this for quite a while. He finally woke up when I took him out of the cart to get back in the car.

Wish us luck tonight!

2 comments:

kelly said...

cami i am glad you are back, we are going to be in vegas next week can you email me your phone # (sure i probably have it somewhere but who knows!) we will be there twice between st. george and our flights in and out. would love to stop by for a min. and see your house and jayden!
sorry he's so fussy, my kids always loved a bath with a popsicle (or something frozen to chew on) stay ahead of the game with tylenol! kellybishop1@hawaiiantel.net

Amy Jenks said...

I'm so sorry. It's weird how some teeth aren't much of a problem and others are horrible. You all have been through a lot. I hope you recover quickly - shoot I have a rough time recovering from a trip to NM or CA.

Tylenol has worked for my girls.
Some people swear by teething tablets. I bought some for Jocelyn a while ago because she was having a rough time and I figured I'd give them a shot because I'm not a fan of medicine. (Funny - my husband's almost a dr...) They seemed to numb the pain a bit (but only a bit). So, I went back to the Tylenol thing.