I know I'm pregnant and just have to deal with everyone's advice and comments, but I have to say that I am surprised how many LDS women there are that seem so insensitive to the joys/annoyances about being pregnant. I don't understand how easily they forget (especially when their own daughters are currently having babies of their own) how rude it is to tell people how big they are, and go on and on about it.
There is a lady in my ward that ALWAYS talks about how big expectant mothers are getting, and she basically doesn't have a filter between her brain and her mouth. I'm sure she means well, she's a chatterbox, but she just processes her thoughts out loud-not just about pregnancy, but that's when it really hits the nerve with me.
Before I was even thinking about getting pregnant with this one, she would make so many comments about how big other women were getting, and finally I got so sick of it I flat out told her she needed to stop saying things like that about expectant mothers because it's just a particularly rude thing to say to a pregnant woman. Did that stop her? NO.
Now before I go on I have to say that I have been much, much healthier with this pregnancy. I still go to Zumba twice a week, I eat better (and less), and I have only gained 10 lbs so far, all of which I am pretty proud of. I compared myself to pictures of this point during my pregnancy with Jayden, and I am smaller and haven't started swelling yet, which I had with Jayden. (Although I am still all belly, and look and feel huge-who doesn't at 31 weeks?)
About a week ago she kept asking me if I was going to get as big as Sister So-and-So did, which I thought was an awful conversation to be part of, so I tried to politely change the topic. Then, on Tuesday, she said I must be due any day (because of this woman's calling she absolutely knew I at least wasn't due any day, so this irritated me even more), and I said no, I have two months left, and she kept repeating "Really? Two whole months left? Wow." Then she started talking about how tiny her daughter is (who is maybe 20 weeks and was tiny with her first baby anyway), and then she asked me if I was bigger this time than I was with Jayden. No, thank you, I'm actually smaller and weigh less, but thanks for the boost.
Ugh. I'm sorry if you actually read this whole post, I know every pregnant woman has had experiences like this, and I know I just need to brush it off, this woman is just like that, but I just think that especially LDS women/mothers should be the most understanding of anyone! Duh! Isn't it a no-brainer? I know it sounds cliche to say this, but I was having a whopper of an awful day, and it was just the worst day ever for this woman to say stuff like that to me. Ugh.
Anyway, Jayden and some of his buddies are doing a darling little Easter egg hunt today, so on to better and happier thoughts and activities! My parents are visiting this weekend too, so hopefully it will be an uplifting weekend! Hope you all have a good weekend too!
4 comments:
that is just ignorant! every woman knows how sensitive you feel when you are pregnant! and 10 lbs at 31 weeks, that is great. ki's dr. told her she should have gained 10 lbs already at 19 weeks, she has only gained 3 and she said she needed to get on it!
i know it is hard but you have to just ignore those things, kind of like we did with felicita:)
it would be hard not to go off on her!
Way to go girl! I am glad you expressed yourself! You are doing fabulous at 31 weeks! Any names yet?
That's soooo not right of her. I'm glad you said something to her! It truly bothers me when people make that type of comment. As if expectant mothers don't feel awful enough about having to gain weight and wear huge clothes - then you get these crazy ladies saying things...
10 lbs at 31 weeks!?! WOW! Keep up the good work. I definitely can't say the same about myself.
Cami I am so proud of you! To speak up and let her know how rude and just plain dumb she is being but to also take it with grace and try not to let it bother you.
You are fine and beautiful! Sounds like your really doing good with this one....keep it up!
Love you!
Love, Keli
Post a Comment