Banned Books Week

So Brian and I went to the library the other day. I guess the last week in September is "Banned Books Week" and so I took some time to look at the display they had up. It was very interesting to read about it and the reasons why certain books are challenged.

I have read some books that instantly lowered my IQ (the most recent one was "Blubber" by Judy Blume, which I read to find out why it was on the list), and parts of some books are written poorly (like the grammar in the Junie B. Jones books-as a teacher I physically cannot read those books out loud without correcting them). I also don't like the behavior in Captain Underpants and Diary of a Wimpy Kid, but does that mean they deserve to be banned? As a teacher, I ask myself, "Which is the lesser evil? A poorly crafted book or a child who hasn't found anything he likes to read?"

There were a lot of books on the most frequently challenged list that really surprised me. Of Mice and Men, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Giver, the Harry Potter Series, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Twilight are just a few.

In grades k-2, kids learn to read; after that, they read to learn. We cannot let kids become dependent on others for information. If we shelter our kids to the point of removing Huckleberry Finn because of racism, how will they learn about history and learn from others' mistakes? Kids need to learn to make their own opinions and assessments of the world around them, and how will they do that if creativity is pulled out from under them?

As long as parents teach their kids the difference between reality and fantasy and make sure what their kids are reading is age-appropriate, I don't see the harm. Anyone have any other thoughts?

5 comments:

Juli said...

I am totally with you on this, Cami. What makes me laugh , though, is how many of those banned books from days past are now required reading in most schools (Huck Finn, The Giver, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Scarlet Letter, etc.). Boy oh boy, I sure hope Junie B Jones never becomes required reading!!

Seriously, though, while I don't think controversial books should be banned, I also don't think that just because a book is "real" means that everyone should read it (I got nothing out of reading Toni Morrison's "Beloved" besides feeling seriously disturbed for weeks). I don't think there needs to be a major shock factor involved to make something worth reading. Does that make sense?

Anywho, my thought is that wise parents would choose to read the books that their kids are reading--it makes for some wonderful teaching opportunities and eye-opening discussions.

Brian and Cami said...

Juli,
I tried reading some of Toni Morrison's books back in the day when I cared about Oprah's book club but I couldn't get through the first few pages because they were so disturbing.

I agree that wise parents should be involved in everything their kids do, and that includes what they are reading. I love reading "kids" books; often times they are much more creative and fun!

As one of my religion professors always used to say, "If you want your kids to be able to tell you anything, you have to be willing to listen to everything!" That includes reading the same books they are reading!

Steve and Carrie said...

Big brother is always watching!!

kelly said...

that is so interesting, and what was the reason for twilight? just to jump on the bandwagon with you guys, hated toni morrison's books! some books that they have them read now in school seem innapropriate to me, and they are banning huck finn? the giver was such a great book too, i might have to go check this out, what a way to get people to read huh? just ban the book :) and i loved let's roll too, one of my all time favorites, can't wait to hear your report!

Love Sweet Love said...

I couldn't agree with you more! What IS this world coming to?!

On a lighter note, I had totally forgotten about the night with the bras. Wow, were we awesome or what?! Ha Ha!!! I wonder if anyone has any pictures from that night...